Saturday, April 24, 2010

Marriage for thought...

I had a friend that was once just was obsessed with the news... he would be online only on CNN or TV was alwasy CNN, CSPAN or some type of news program.

I always chose to stay slightly in the dark about alot of the news holding tight to the thought that it was all so negative and not much positive. Recently thought that has changed as I have more time it seems to watch more news and more access (i.e. iPhone apps) and I read news daily on the Max ride into work.

I am finding a trend the more I watch, live and learn about the world around me. I am so worried about relationships and how they are set up in the society we live in.

Last night, after a particularly bad day and even worse night I biked home, made our lunches for today and chose to sit and watch some Oprah... she will cheer me up right.... NOPE.... Oprah's guest was Melissa Etheridge. She was on the show to talk about her break up with her wife of 9 years and I just started to cry.

Now I know that Melissa is a celebrity and a person like us all... but she made a statement about being gay and believing in marriage and being married twice. Then went on to say they grew apart with different paths... yet they both wanted to be parents and work and such... I then thought well I will watch Millionaire Matchmaker instead and one I realized why I love the host of the show Patti Stanger.

She has it going on about marriage and the rules of relationships ... You know she said she believes we all have many soul mates but only one life-mate. I loved that it made me smile ... I realized I am frustrated with Media... all we hear about in response to relationships is break ups and cheating.

It would lead people to think that relationships such as Jesse James, Tiger Woods, Larry King, Melissa Etheridge, and other examples to the world are the norm ... we honestly should take a vault and start talking about the success of marriage. I look at people like Jacob's parents who were together for 40 years, My parents who have been together for almost 20 years, My grandparents who were together 60 years...

It is hard to be constantly bombarded by a society hell bent on the negative. I try so hard to not see it but it is really everywhere... so much pain and so much loss... i can't imagine what it would be like to be the gay couple together for 20 years and yet treated so horrible in CA. Shouldn't we have been celebrating the two decades they worked on the relationship.

The truth is that we all need to work away from the sarcasm, negativity and cold-heartedness and try to find a peace and a love that is there if we look ... we focus on faults, or what we perceive to be right and wrong... your too gay, too fat, too old, too happy, too sad, too hairy etc...

Why cant we just BE... and know we are trying to figure out our lives ... the truth is that we take relationships for granted... I see too many people hurting others with the change of a status on FB and such just cause they had a fight and now change to say they are single only to change it back when the fight is over... That is celebrating drama and not strengthening the bonds of a relationship.

No wonder the the world at large can't decide on Gay Marriage or rights or anything... we focus too much on the celebrities that all they are is famous for the sake of being famous...

I have a domestic partner that I love and cherish... and one day we will have a ceremony and I plan to be around in two, three, hell even four decades from now and plan to have him by my side and knowing that we worked through the rough time and didn't give up ... I hope that in the years that will be celebrated and not the bad relationships ...

No comments:

Post a Comment