Saturday, February 13, 2010

Reflection

Yesterday I tried something:
Before my morning shower I stood in front of the mirror in my bathroom... I looked at my body. I noticed all the imperfections, all the scars, moles, the way my skin looked, the paleness, the various tones, freckles, etc.
Mirror time been something that I have done since I started meds about four years ago. I worry so much about my body changing and where fat is and where I have lost weight. So much talk and writing about lipodistrophy. This is a massive fear not only because of the meds but I am getting older and bodies change a lot as we get older. It's a fact.
The subject of bodies and the way they look has been on my mind a lot lately. Watching a recent Oprah (Jacob has gotten me hooked on watching her) episode she talked about a family who was so obsessed with technology (Facebook, Twitter, Texting, Emails, Video Games, etc) that the family was suffering. Oprah brought in a guy to help the family organize the household. It included "un-teching" the house. The next step was to clean up the house. The guest explained that your home and space are a reflection of how you feel inside. WOW!! That hit me very hard.
I started to think about the people in my life. The first person that popped in my head was my current roommate. He lives in what I would consider filth. The floor is covered with clothes, garbage, change, and other things I fear to even mention. His bed is always such a mess that he rarely sleeps on it, instead choosing to sleep in the living room almost nightly.
He seems so sad and miserable inside... I could call him an Eeyore, in fact he actually speaks similarly to Eeyore. His space very much indicates how he feels inside. I started looking around at people and noticing that many people who live in chaos have a distinct lack of cleanliness. There is a reflection that goes way beyond what just what we see in the mirror. I feel I have to have things around me clean and organized. That is truly how I feel inside.
I started to think a lot about the gym bunnies that live their life at the gym. There is a certain reflection that they see that is a reality to them. I personally feel for some the gym body skews what is normal and what is not normal. I would love to have a body like that but the time it takes to create means sacrificing a lot in some cases. For some that means the only connections you have are all tied to the gym and not far reaching from that.
I stopped reading magazines like ADVOCATE and OUT simply due to the rarity of seeing a body that is average. Gay culture in general is as bad as women magazines when it comes to image. I have spent a lifetime trying to be 5'11" and 150# but it just isn’t possible. I have finally resigned myself to the fact that in gay culture that we have set ourselves up for failure with all the labels. Not to say that I have never used them. I am just as guilty trying to figure out which category that I fit into.
Term like twinks, bears, muscle bears, leather daddies, cubs, wolves, otters, etc are not the most positive terminology. Are we so bad that we need to compare ourselves t o animals? The one plus though is that with gay culture there is a spot to fit in with each type. Groups that accept you as the “type” you are.
I am getting older I realize that the most important thing is to just be healthy and to be happy with who I am and how my body is built.
There is reflection that we all have, the question is are you happy with your reflection on the interior as well as the exterior. I am learning to look around me and appreciate the reflection that I see and know that I am in the best place and that my home, life and friends reflect what I see. I want to have the life around me be a reflection of who I am.
So today I stood in the mirror and started to appreciate how far I have come and how blessed I am with the reflection that is in front of me and surrounding me.

2 comments:

  1. Well put and to the point of fact you have nailed it on the head.

    I have a friend/acquaintance that I have recently met and was trying to figure out what is was that struck me about him so much.

    Then one night as I was dropping him off at his place I asked him if it would be ok if I came in and used the bathroom.

    What I noticed was that his home was great on alki beach front in fact with a view of the water. But there was nothing in it only a dirty towel on the bathroom floor. Nothing in the kitchen or living room except for and open unpacked flat screen tv.

    then it all hit me he was just like his home beautiful but empty inside.

    thanks for sharing

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading... yeah that is sad ... so much reflection is in what we maintain... I am finding I am a simple guy but i hold on to the things that are important :)

    ReplyDelete